Chancel and Chapel

Chancel and Chapel


Much of the woodwork at the east end dates back to 1500. The roofs of the chapels are the most original in character and the four misere seats, rood screen and side-screens that divide the chancel and the chapels from the nave and the aisles were all commissioned for the Perpendicular building.


On the arms of the misere seats are four heads, which may be monks or priests of the time. The misericords under the seats were designed to provide a small ledge to support a person standing without actually forming a seat. One reveals the smiling face of an angel, the other the scowling features of a fiend.


Of particular interest are the fifteen carved figures (finials or projections) on the stall ends. On the north side of the chancel they depict the virgin and child and the three single figures of the Magi bearing gifts.


The praying pew of the Mounteneys of Cowley in St Catherine's chapel is dated 1536. The Latin inscription reads, "pray for the souls of Robert Mountney and Anne his wife and for the good estate of John Mountney and Johanna his wife who caused this oratory to be made the 24th day of July 1536".


Mounted on the wall of the south chancel aisle is the banner and lamp of the ToC H. This was a movement founded in the trenches of the First World War by the Revd Clayton to provide comforts to the troops. Ecclesfield had a ladies branch of the movement until recent times.


The ancient Churchwarden's chest is 13th century and is made out of one tree trunk. There are four locks with separate keys to prevent any one of the churchwardens opening it without the others being present. In the past it held the registers and the churchwarden’s accounts, along with the poor law records and other documents because the church had always been a meeting place as well as a place of worship.





For over 200 years the windows were only clear glass.

The gifts of rich local families provided new stained glass.

Some notable windows are:



Te Deum

The West Window depicts the Te Deum, the Church's Hymn of Praise. The inscription reads "To the glory of God and in loving memory of Thomas William Jeffcock, J.P. And D.L. of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Born at Brush House 18 December 1839, died at Shire House 3 August 1900".



Parables from Nature

This window is dedicated to Margaret Gatty, wife of a former Vicar. The five upper lights represent the Sermon on the Mount with Christ. In the adjoining western light is a full length figure bearing Margaret's likeness. The five lower lights contain illustrations of five parables. They are the parables of the Sower, the Sparrows, the Barren Fig Tree, the Lost Sheep and Sorting the Fishes.



Juliana Window

The window on the north wall depicts the ascension, and is dedicated to Juliana, daughter of the Revd Gatty. The three upper lights show the Ascended Lord with adoring angels on each side. One of the angels in the tracery on the left bears Juliana's likeness.