Jeffcock Memorial Fountain - Service of Dedication
Wednesday 17th February 2010
A replica of the finial on the top of the Memorial (the original having been lost) has been replaced.
For more information on this memorial see: http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/unk329.html
Service of dedication
Dignitaries and family members pose for the local press
Extract from the Parish Magazine for March 2010
The Jeffcock memorial fountain was moved from Ecclesfield Park to the green in the village by the church in 2008. On 17th February, the memorial was re-dedicated in a short service conducted by Canon Tricia Impey. The Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Graham Oxley, MP Angela Smith, several members of the Jeffcock family and the Ecclesfield Feoffees were in attendance. The monument is made of polished black granite with decorative pink granite with four inscriptions bearing the names and dates of members of the Jeffcock family. It was first dedicated in 1903 when it was positioned in the alcove in the church wall.
The Jeffcocks are an old mining family from Handsworth, near Sheffield. William Jeffcock was the 1st Mayor of Sheffield in 1843, and his brother John married Catherine Parkyn, the Lady of the Manor of Darley. They lived in Cowley Manor near Chapeltown. Their son Parkin, a mining engineer, is well remembered for his selfless attempt to save miners in the Oaks Colliery Disaster in 1866, at the cost of his own life. St. Saviour’s Church in Mortomley was erected in his memory. Today there are Jeffcocks living and working in the Isle of Man, Monaco, London, Ecuador, Ireland and France. The family still invests and works in mining projects from Mexico & Ecuador to Azerbaijan and Georgia as well as oil and gas exploration in the Ukraine. Ecclesfield Church also has three windows and a water trough in memory of members of the family.
The Jeffcock Memorial Fountain restore to its former glory
Restoration of the West Window and Mosaic
The West Window - Showing remedial and
restorative work to the external masonry
The restored West Window - Shown backlit.
Note the clarity and colour of the glazing
The West Window & Mosaic
As seen from inside the Church
The gilder at work preparing the mosaic for gilding with gold leaf
Mosaic after cleaning, the gold Ceramic Tesserae that remain gold may be Gold under-glazed tiles or Gold Smalti
Gold Smalti: - This tile is made with real gold and silver leaf
sandwiched between two layers of glass and fired twice in the kiln to embed in the metal.
Mosaic following remedial work to repair the Alabaster surround, clean the Mosaic Ceramic
Tesserae and re-gild the lettering and line detail in 23 ct English Gold Leaf.
Click on the link above to learn more about this Art and Craft